count-up to 1000 miles

LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Monday, April 27, 2009

Look at me go!



I am so proud of what I haven't done! I haven't killed the rosebush in front of our house! I have focused on not touching it, looking at it, or even thinking about it until the roses bloomed, and look how good I did! I didn't kill it! Yay for me!!!! Sorry about all of the exclamation points, but if you know me at all, any green living thing dies under my watchful care. It is a good thing that my kids aren't green, or they wouldn't have stood a chance. The only problem is that this rosebush is otherwise very ugly when the roses aren't in bloom (as you can see, it is not ALL alive....) and I am half tempted to rip the thing out. I am torn. I will definitely wait to see what mama bird does with her babies and then decide.

By the way, there are now 5 eggs in our nest! My dad told me that the blue ones look like robin eggs, but I am not so sure because mama bird is a very plain looking little unremarkable brown thing, but I don't know anything about birds so she very well could just be an ugly robin. Anyway, the white one might be a mockingbird egg. I guess that these sneaky mockingbirds find random nests to drop their egg and let someone else raise it (sounds like the brilliant plan Nebraska had a while ago....) the problem is that this little mockingbird will soon be bigger than mama bird, but she will just assume it is her baby so will keep trying to feed it, and apparently she will struggle. My dad suggested maybe I take the white egg out to try to prevent this from happening to poor mama bird, but I can't bring myself to do it. I haven't made any other bird friends yet that would adopt this mockingbird, and I don't think I am qualified to be a foster parent. Plus, I am not sure I could even GET to the nest to get the egg out. Drama, drama, drama.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Rosebushes are VERY hard to kill. You can cut them down when the roses aren't in bloom to get them from being too out of control. I am an expert in this area.

Rachel said...

I would be sad to take the bigger egg out too!

Good luck! That is quite a dramatic situation.

If you want my opinion, just cut the rose bush way down (think 12 inches tall) when it's not in bloom. Then it doesn't look ugly and it will grow up again when it's time to bloom. I have rose bushes in my front yard and I love them!

Shannon said...

First of all- it is a running skirt- a new thing- and it has built in shorts. It is made out of a new material that helps with keeping you cool- I seriously feel like Im wearing nothing. Second- were you in Gainsville? That is where our Stake conf was, at a convention center. I think usually we go to tennessee but... hmmm let me know!

Utah Summer Vacation 2009

Spring Break 2009

Our trip