count-up to 1000 miles

LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

He can't have his cake and eat it too


After months and months of trying to keep poor little JT's eczema under control, I was finally able to get into an allergist. His skin has gotten much worse since living here in Jackson, and the kid was finally to the point where I had to keep his footie jammies on him all day so that he couldn't get to his legs or back to scratch. He had huge sores all over, and well he was just a mess. Anyway, we went in to have some skin testing done, and he was quickly the show of the whole clinic. He had to wait for 10 minutes before they could read the test, so to keep his mind off of the scratching, I let him wander around the clinic instead of being cooped up in the exam room. So he walked around without a shirt on, and everyone (doctors, nurses, other patients) all stopped to look at this poor little kid with a big grin on his face, huge welts on his back, and rashes all over the rest of his body. He sure is a little ham, that is for sure, and made everyone smile in spite of having pity for him.

The verdict? He is allergic to peanuts and eggs. This whole time I have been mostly worried about milk, but that test wasn't even slightly positive. So, out go the peanut butter, cookies, waffles, cupcakes.......wait, am I mourning for him or for me? Anyway, maybe with his allergies, we can use that as an excuse to get some of the c-r-a-p out of our house and we can all be a little healthier, and hopefully JT will be ready for summertime and shorts/t-shirt weather. I am excited to know what is up with him and that there is something I can do to help my little guy. Fortunately, as miserable as he has been with the scratching, he has managed to be quite a cheerful and mischevious little one. Man, we love this kid!

13 comments:

Emily and Jake Shoff said...

Oh Amanda! That stinks, but I am glad it's not milk. Brady is allergic to all three for pete's sake. What the heck do you feed these poor babies??? I am glad that you finally know now and can help him out. It took a good 3 moths to get Brady's weight under control after we found out about the allergies but his skin cleared up pretty fast! So hopefully that's the case for Jarom. Sweet little guy! Can't wait to see you guys! Loves~

heidikins said...

Oh goodness!! That's crazytalk! I certainly hope his rashes go away soon...can you use "fake" eggs in baking stuff?

xox

Erin said...

Oh that's terrible, I remember his poor skin though. Hopefully it will clear up and he won't be so miserable. I can't imagine... poor thing. ANd good luck to you to try to find things to feed him, that's crazy!!!

The Steele Family said...

AAAAhhhhhhhh! Did you hear the news?!

The Steele Family said...

I'm glad you got that figured out by the way...I hate the unknown. It's much better to know what is going on with the little munchkins. Still don't know why Marshae isn't plumbed right, lol but what the heck!

Chris and Dianne Clan said...

Crazy! These little Shoffs are very allgergic kids! I have some good news....Scotty is ALMOST over his egg allergy. He can have it in baked foods. This is HUGE for him! If this is in the genes there's hope for Jarom, Brady and Caroline. Also, Scotty grew out of his dairy allergy too.
I have great ideas for an egg-free diet if you're interested, but I can't help much with the peanuts. Emily should be able to give you some tips.

Good-luck and we'll see you soon!

Rachel said...

Yikes! It's only a matter of time before one of our will have a problem if it's in the genes. Isaac has ezcema, but it is classic and shows up in patches and then goes away etc.

I'm sure it's a relief to know. Poor kid!! I can't help, but it seems that Dianne and Emily have you covered.

He is a cute, mischevious little guy! We love him too!!

D and H fam said...

Hey my friend - I have been thinking about you lots lately. I just sat here and totally caught up on your blog. I'm so glad to hear all of you are getting involved and being busy little bees. I'm sorry about JT's rash - but so glad you know what's wrong now. We are doing okay - day by day, right? Well, kids are going crazy. I will email you for a more personal catch up. Miss you guys!!

Tyson and Angela said...

Poor little lamb! ;) I am so glad you know what it is. It is kinda sad you thought it was one thing but was completely something different! Hopefully things can get cleared up soon! Love ya to pieces!!

Jarom said...

Wow! I am so glad you finally got answers! At least you know what to do now. Hopefully his skin clears up pronto.

We miss you guys tons but are glad things are working out for you. Call me some time... (-:

The Crocketts said...

Hey! Glad you guys were okay through the storms. That stinks about JT! Have you looked into taking him to an NAET? You can find one at www.naet.org (or something like that). They work miracles! Anyhow, glad you're doing well and you have some answers. Take care!

The Isoms said...

Poor guy! Allergies stink! I too am allergic to PB but I LOVE it! Atleast for right now he is small enough to not say what he wants :)

Broadhead Family said...

Ahh I would hate to be allergic to peanuts- i love them. how are you guys doing? do you love where you live? Anyway, it is good hearing from you. David has asked about Dallin I guess they noticed eachother more than we thought:) I really would like to get Zach tested.

Utah Summer Vacation 2009

Spring Break 2009

Our trip