count-up to 1000 miles

LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Warning, proud mommy post


Just to brag about my DB a little bit, he came home from school yesterday just beaming. He was so proud to tell me that he got an award! Sure enough, he got the award for the "Most Improved Student" for this last 9 weeks. I am so proud of him because he really came to this school WAY behind. Utah is just far behind TN when it comes to Kindergarten. Anyway, he has almost caught up on his reading, is doing great at addition and subtraction, and his handwriting is getting much better. He even loves to draw now! I used to be worried that he was never interested in drawing or writing, but he loves it now, and we go through a LOT of paper! He loves to do his own homework which just involves him writing/drawing whatever he wants on a paper. Homework that is instigated by me doesn't fly as much, but he is a good trooper and tries very hard. His teacher has been proud of how hard he has worked at getting caught up.

I was most worried about my DB with this move, but the Lord has definitely blessed him. The final frontier is finding some "friends at home" as DB calls it. We pulled into the driveway the other day and he told me that he didn't have any "friends at home." I really don't think there are any kids his age in our neighborhood, so I am just going to have to be a more proactive mom and invite church and school kids over for playdates this summer. Fortunately during the school year, the kid is tired after school, so we won't have to worry about that until the summer.

My DB is a fan of pirates. That will not come as a surprise to many of you, but really besides Thomas, pirates are the only thing that he has ever been really crazy about. The funny thing is that he has gotten so used to speaking "pirate" that whenever he decides to play Santa with JT (he brings him presents and expects JT to be eternally grateful) he can't quite get Santa's greeting just right. Instead of saying Ho HO HO! he says YO ho HO! What would you like for Christmas, little boy! I wonder if he expects santa to have a bandana instead of the regular santa hat this year.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

YAY DB! Be proud, Mommy. Kids really are resilient.

Hey, we moved all the time and we turned out ok....then again...maybe not :)

The Steele Family said...

Hey...how are you guys doin over yonder?! So we are moving in like a week and a half and I am starting to wonder if I can really do it! I am so nervous. We don't really have a choice now b/c since we told Jakes boss that we were leaving...his job has gone to the crapper. He has only worked 2 days out of the last 10! Hey, Jake had his eye surgery though...you should check out his progress on my blog. Love you guys!

The Steele Family said...

Yeah, we will be gone for 4 months. We leave in 11 days and won't be back until the very end of August! Crazy

Chris and Dianne Clan said...

HORRAY DB! I love to hear your proud mommy moments and I'm so happy to hear that he's getting settled in his new surroundings! I LOVE the Ho Yo Ho! FUNNY!

Erin said...

He's so cute! Ammon still asks about him. It's different around here without your family. We all miss you guys.

Utah Summer Vacation 2009

Spring Break 2009

Our trip