count-up to 1000 miles

LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Southern Hospitality

We got to our home yesterday afternoon, pulled all of our c-r-a-p out of the car and went down to Sears to get ourselves a fridge. We ended up being there forever, because the salesmen just wouldn't stop talking! We got invited to 3 different churches, and everyone was just so nice! We came home to our empty house (which stinks, by the way) and hung out for the rest of the night.

Then we were able to go to church this morning. The overflow of the chapel is being refurnished, so the seating was very tight, and we were there late because we got lost in the first place, so we got to go in late to sit in the choir seats......helllllooooo, everyone! Here we are! The new people! Anyway, everyone was very nice, and very accommodating. We even had someone offer to go get our fridge for us tomorrow instead of having us have to rent a u-haul, and we had another family invite us over for dinner so we wouldn't have to break the Sabbath. (don't worry, our Sunday Dinner Amigos, nobody will EVER be able to replace you! They weren't HALF as awesome as you are!!!!!) I struggled a bit during Relief Society, although we sang the song How Firm a Foundation and I really liked the part "Fear not, I am with thee oh be not dismayed. For I am thy Lord and will still give thee aid." How true this is. I am suddenly surrounded by nothing that I have ever known--there is no Costco nearby, we had to DRIVE to our friends' house for dinner tonight, and who knows when our stuff is going to show up. But all is well. We sang the same songs in church, and that was a great comfort.

One thing I forgot, when we were picking up the keys to our house, we were reviewing our lease and the landlord mentioned that we are responsible for the upkeep of the lawn. Without even thinking, I asked if there was a sprinkling system installed or if we needed sprinklers. She looked at me like I was from Mars, and politely reminded me that we get enough rain here that it shouldn't be a problem. Gotcha. Just mow, no sprinklers. Check. Next crazy thing.....the house next door is currently being rebuilt after a tornado wiped it out last year. Yes. Rebuilding from the foundation up. Right next door. Yikes.

So, tomorrow we've got to get DB registered for school--which is another thing....suddenly my baby is in FULL day school. No summer preparation for this, he is suddenly in full day school. What am I going to do tomorrow afternoon without my buddy around?

16 comments:

Robert and Sandy Kidd said...

Wow honey your sure are on an adventure. I'm glad to here that everyone is so friendly and very nice.

Just remember, don't worry, be happy!

Love you!

Mom

Angela said...

Holy COW!! That's all I can think as I keep reading about your driving adventures. Sheesh. 900 miles in ONE DAY? I'd be the one going, "are we there yet?" Glad to hear you're doing okay so far though. In sacrament today, we could only hear one toddler screaming. She kept saying, "move mom, move mom, that's my seat" over and over. I just thought it was funny that we could actually HEAR her. :0) Missing you guys!

The Steele Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Steele Family said...

No watering the lawn?! What the heck...I had no idea, how nice haha. Well, I hope DB adjusts okay to his new school...And we're glad everyone is being so nice to take our places :) Good luck settling in

Emily and Jake Shoff said...

Hey girl! I am so glad you are there safe and sound! I remember when I moved to D.C. I didn't know ANYONE, and I felt alone, until I went to church, and then from then on, I jumped in head first! It will take a little time, but I am so excited for you guys! Good luck this first week and getting to know your surroundings! Love you!

Jarom said...

Yeah, there you go again making me cry. Yesterday was so boring. Thanks a lot!

Seriously, though, I'm really glad you got there safe and that the people are being so kind. Change is a hard thing, but everything will all turn out good in the end. If everything is not good, it's not the end. (Can you tell this pep talk is mostly for me??)

Hope things continue to go well. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers.

Honey Family Blog said...

Hey, I'm glad you guys made it okay. Good luck with everything and I hope furniture gets there soon. Seems like so far so good! I'm going to add you to my friends list if that is okay with you. I'll check back in a couple of days to see how its goin'!

Rachel said...

I'm so glad you are there safe and sound! That's funny you had to sit in the choir seats...HELLO everyone!

I hope school is good for DB. As a parent that is what would make me the most nervous. How far away is the school? Does he go on the bus??

OH, and I hope you get your stuff soon, good grief!

Love you guys!!

D and H fam said...

Yay you made it! I have to admit, I walked past your house the other day and got a bit choked up. I'm glad people are being friendly. I'm excited to hear how your transition and life go there! How are the boys doing? Well we just love and miss you guys. Hang in there - this is a great new adventure for you guys!

Chris and Dianne Clan said...

Okay...so you've moved. I FEEL SO CLUELESS! This is the first I've looked at any blogs since well before Christmas. I guess it serves me right for not being informed! I wish you guys the very best! I always love a new adventure and I'm sure you guys are in for the ride of your lives. Just enjoy it! Plus, Dallin will love being in school all day! It's so much better than 1/2 day! Hayes and Ty have had both had all day and they've both been just fine. A little tired at the end of the day, but they'll get use to it! Take care of yourselves and I hope that your stuff gets there soon and you start to settle into some normal routines! That alwasys helps! Love you guys!

Chris and Dianne Clan said...

Wow, I just read what I wrote and you'd think I'm tired or something...it didn't make much sense. Sorry! Just so you know, we love you and you're in our prayers!!!

Tyson and Angela said...

Hey chicka! How fun for you to go to sacrament and say HELLO!!! HERE I AM! Too funny but a perfect way to get people to notice that you are new. I am excited to see pictures of your surroundings and am excited to hear how Dallin's first day of school is! Keep smiling and find joy in everything! That was too funny about the sprinkler situation...you aren't in the desert anymore!
Love you!

Tyson and Angela said...

ps...are you cold?

The Crocketts said...

I'm prayin' for ya babe! Love ya! It'll get better.

Jessica Kidd said...

Hey Sis! I'm also glad you got there okay! Keep us posted with everything! I miss you guys ton and hope all goes well with you and you get everything filled out and that you are not so stressed. I love you! Give DB and JT a big hug and a kiss for me!

Ari said...

Are you in Tennesee? That's great to have more fam on the east coast! We are in Georgia, you'll have to stop and say hi when you take on another adventure.

Utah Summer Vacation 2009

Spring Break 2009

Our trip