count-up to 1000 miles

LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Monday, December 6, 2010

Yes, we are alive.......but just barely.

Good times in FL since Thanksgiving here at our house! Ben has been hospitalized twice, once with cellulitis (again) and once with a gall bladder removal. Fortunately he never has to experience that gall bladder again, because that was insanely painful. It was awful to see him in that much pain. Thank heavens for a faithful home teacher who is willing to sleep on the couch for 4 hours in the middle of the night while I followed the ambulance to the ER, and for a sister in law who isn't scary to wake up to in the mornings. I left in the middle of the night and didn't tell the kids that I wouldn't be there in teh morning, but they didn't mind since it was Becca that they woke up to. The were more well behaved for her than they ever are for me, so it all worked out, I guess. Incidently, we had the same ER doc as when we were there with the cellulitis, and we promised her we weren't going to be making a habit of this! We hope that Ben's medical emergencies are behind us. It is quite stressful to have him in the hospital so much--for both of us. He worries about work, and I am left to worry about him, kids who act out because they feel the stress of a sick daddy, and trying to keep everyone sane.

I have had a cough since Thanksgiving too, but moms can't be sick--especially this mom! Between hospitalizations and over Thanksgivng break, I tried to get the kids to Disneyworld as much as we could before it got too crazy there. We did manage to celebrate JT's 3rd birthday (separate post coming), have a good couple of days at the Magic Kingdom, and a great day at EPCOT on Thanksgiving with Ben there too!

Since drama happens in threes and we only had 2 ER visits, it was only a matter of time until someone had something happen, and that was our baby girl. Yesterday morning I was on the bed with the 3 kiddos and she was mad that I was snuggling JT, so she stood up to climb over him, and when she stood up, she changed her mind and had a temper tantrum instead and threw herself backward off of the bed. She hit her head on the entertainment center and gouged a hole in her head about 3 inches above her ear, behind the hair line. I waited until the pediatrician office was open to avoid that same doctor at the ER and she got 5 staples in her head. They said that would be more humane than giving a shot and then stitches. This way she will have a very good reason never to pull a movie star stunt and shave her head, right?

Like I said. Good times here in FL. I doubt Christmas cards are going to get sent out this year. I haven't even gotten around to Christmas shopping yet. There is no snow outside, hopefully the Christmas Spirit is just around the corner for me. Maybe I left it in the waiting room at the Emergency Room!





5 comments:

Rachel said...

Holy Cow, Amanda! You need a vacation! I'm so sorry to hear about all drama and scares, but it sounds like you are handling it with that awesome sense of humor that we love.

Hopefully things will settle down for you all. We sure love you guys!

Rachel said...

Oy!! Oy! Oy.

I didn't hear about mini Amanda's drama. Sad! How is surgery recovery? My Ben said that Ben was completely out of it when he called the other night :) Something about flying animals and your Ben giggling. Totally doped up ;)

Hang in there! It sucks being far away because we really can't help except for prayers. And that we are! I fasted for Ben yesterday. Let him know I love him and hope he starts feeling on the up and up.

Chris and Dianne Clan said...

I hope you can soon get some peace and I do believe that emergencies really do only come in threes!

I loved seeing the pics. With with everything else going on at least you all look great! Your kids are adorable!

Emily and Jake Shoff said...

Are you kidding me! Poor Ben,(Had a good chat with him today), poor Sarah, and POOR you! I can't believe you have gone through all of this in this past month! Hopefully there are some great things just around the corner for you guys! Love you and wish we could see you for Christmas!!!! BTW.... Sarah= mini Amanda!

Joshua said...

Yes, very dramatic. Sorry dude! Hang in there and keep trusting in the Man upstairs. All will go well. Our prayers are with you guys. Give mini-you a hug too, say it was from Uncle Josh.

Loves!

Utah Summer Vacation 2009

Spring Break 2009

Our trip