count-up to 1000 miles

LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Friday, March 13, 2009

Moving forward

Sheesh! My posts have been very un-informative lately, eh? Sorry about that, Mom. Well we are settling in to life here.
DB has started soccer and has had a great time with that. He has a great coach who has taught him a lot already after just one practice. They do it differently here, though. They play 4 on 4 on two smaller fields and don't technically have a goalie. I actually like it better, it keeps him more active and he doesn't lose interest as much with so much running without being near the ball. He is a cute little Pele if you ask me. Oh, guess what size soccer cleats he got? Are you ready for this? 4 1/2!!! Good Grief! I asked him what his favorite part about school was and he told me it was rest time, snack time and going home time. Something tells me he doesn't love school, what do you think? He is doing quite well at math, seems to enjoy science and comes home with a new song every day. As far as I can tell he is adjusting quite well. It is unbelievable the amount of schoolwork he has here in TN as opposed to UT. The kids in Kindergarten in UT are really getting jipped if you ask me, and we are in TN land of the inadequate schools!

JT. Where do I begin with JT? The little stinker has just grown up a lot lately. He has already "decorated" more walls in his short lifetime than DB has in his significantly longer life (see evidence below....) When he finished his masterpiece this morning, even DB said that he NEVER drew on a wall and told JT that was NAUGHTY! Of course, JT just laughed and ran off to find another crayon. He loves Elmo, the songs "The Wheels on the Bus" and "Head Shoulders Knees and Toes." He can't keep himself out of the second and third drawer in the bathroom, and loves to unroll the TP. He LOVES his blanket that his Aunt Rachel gave to him when he was born, and loves to read books. At the end of every day, we have books spread from one end of the house to the other. I sure miss my small house where everything had no choice but to be contained!

Ben just got a new calling as the Sunday School 1st counselor, and he is still figuring out exactly what that entails. He is really doing well at his new job out here. He took his team out to lunch the other day, and his religion came up. Someone finally asked him if being LDS meant that you were Mormon too. He told them yes, and they had a lot of funny questions, mostly about how many wives he had or intended to have. They were all really cool with it after he told them what he believes. His team sounds pretty awesome, there is an Orthodox Jew, Seventh Day Adventist, Baptist, Non-denominational Christian, Methodist and now a Mormon! There are a couple others that Ben hasn't figured out yet. That would be awesome if they were Catholic and Prodestant!

I, well I am still figuring out my place here in TN. I had a book group over at my house yesterday, and really enjoyed talking about things besides anything that had to do with kids. The book we read was "These is My Words" and I really enjoyed it. The next book we are going to discuss is "The Hiding Place" by Carrie Ten Boom. I got 100% on my Business midterm and am working on failing my Communications class--it is BORING!!! I found an awesome new homemade tortilla recipe that I LOVE, and am making either tacos or chicken wraps tonight for dinner.
Tennessee is cloudy and wet A LOT. We got some snow a week back, and apparently TN hasn't seen that much snow for 40 years! The schools were closed for 2 days because there was snow on the ground. Now, coming from STG, I admittedly have an aversion to snow, but it was very funny to me that they skipped 2 days of school because there was snow on the ground...not the roads.....the grass. DB sure was thrilled, and JT wasn't so sure about walking on the snow. At one point he fell forward and did a face plant into the snow. It was so dang funny that I couldn't stop laughing long enough to comfort him in his pain. What a good mom I am.....


There you go, that's the dish if you read this whole long post, then you must be my family, or really need a hobby (unless of course, your hobby is blog stalking, then you are good to go!) We love and miss all of our family and STG peeps!

7 comments:

Robert and Sandy Kidd said...

I love the pictures and story honey. It was great to hear all about TN. You've got your hands full with JT. Enjoy it while you have him. He will grow up and you will miss it. You just wait! Mom

Jarom said...

How cool to get such an informative update! ;-) Sounds like things are good there. Things are good here too but we sure miss you. I bet JT and Caden would enjoy each other even more now! They seem to have even more in common! How cute is that picture of DB!! GO DB!

Thanks again for remembering my birthday; it meant a lot!

The Steele Family said...

Dude...Marshae totally started drawing on the walls and stuff a couple of weeks ago! I'm going insane!!! LOL

mountainsandmiles said...

ok. So I am neither a blog stocker or hobby-less. :) I really enjoyed reading your blog and feeling I got a true update of my east coast buddy. I am glad that everyone in the Shoff family is settling in to your new lifestyle. Where are you going to school? Are you going for anything specific?

Kathy said...

As someone with older children, I have a piece of advice for those of you who are still dealing with crayon on the walls: magic eraser by mr. clean. They work wonders!

Shannon said...

Hey there! Love and hugs to you! A book club? Sounds fun!

Rachel said...

Hey, it's good to hear how you're doing!

We miss you guys! It sounds like you're really getting settled.

Just wanted to add that you deserve JT!! :) DB is so obedient and calm you need some pay back! Well, I know Ben deserves it FOR SURE! :) :)

P.S. Have you discovered Mr. Clean Magic erasers? We buy those in stock...

Utah Summer Vacation 2009

Spring Break 2009

Our trip