count-up to 1000 miles

LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Great Risk

I write this post knowing that I am at a high risk of sounding a bit like my brother (who I love) by turning things that aren't necessarily spiritual into some great spiritual sermon. (Before you gasp at that Joshie, remember "The Tree.") Anyway, I have to tell you about the experience I had in my spinning class today.

I have been cross training my running with a spinning class every Tuesday and Thursday. It has been difficult to find the motivation to go to this sometimes because I am still relatively tired from my runs on MWF, but it gives me the chance to get out of the house with JT and SM and let them go to a preschool setting, so I go. During class today I was working really hard and sweating and I looked down at the monitor and realized that I had significantly increased my stamina and strength in things she was asking us to do. I think I had a bit of a "runner's high" on the bike. I felt so good and so proud and really felt the Spirit right then. I got tears in my eyes and just knew that Heavenly Father was also proud of me for doing my best to take care of this temple he has given me. I know that caring for our earthly bodies is a way that we can prove to him that we are worthy stewards and are capable of caring for other blessings that he has in store for us.

I truly have felt more capable in all of the roles that I play since I have focused more on trying to have the strongest body I can, while still fufilling my other responsibilities. I have lived a large chunk of my adult life not feeling like I was very strong, and even feeling betrayed by my own body (sounds wierd, I know) and I now realize that in excusing myself from hard work (what about my blood pressure!! Oh! Kidneys! I can't do that!!) I was also hurting my mind and soul at the same time.

It seems strange to me that the Spirit was able to confirm this to me in my spinning class during a loud, high intensity song, but He was. Heavenly Father knew I was strong all along, but He is proud today because I finally remembered that for myself.

2 comments:

Joshua said...

You are definitely my sister! We share the same blood. Thanks for the sermon-isitic analogy, it makes me want to try and get rid of this extra bit of food storage in my tummy.

Love ya sis! Thanks for finally coming to terms with how I think. Even though it took a couple years (ok..8 years but who's counting?)

Rachel said...

Amanda, I get you. I am also in the same boat as you and haven't taken care of my body properly. For the first time in a long time I am taking care of myself!! As of this morning I am down 13.6 since the end of August. My body is getting stronger too! I have great friends who encourage me. And while I'm not running 5 miles, I ran a whole mile this morning without stopping, which for me was AMAZING. I keep thinking, it's working!

I'm proud of us both. I want energy. I want to feel strong.

You're amazing and I miss you!

Utah Summer Vacation 2009

Spring Break 2009

Our trip